Re: Using 400 - was: Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)

Subject: Re: Using 400 - was: Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)
From: "Simon E" <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 08:20:29 GMT
John Pendley wrote:

I shoot Tri-X (or Agfapan 400 or Delta 400) at 200 to open up some
shadow detail, do I tell him to "pull" process it or ask him to >process it normally?

It depends what negative you want, what type of negative you are used to. If you shoot at 200asa and pull, it will be lower contrast. If you process normally it will be a little 'thick' (dense) but have plenty of shadow detail. If it's a contrasty subject do the former, if more normal contrast do the latter.

As you suggested, it is a case of 'suck it and see', since you have to assume the lab is going to run Ilford's (or someone's) standard times as their benchmark for normal. Individuals have different ideas of what constitutes normal for their purposes.

Simon E.