Re: [OM] OM-1 vs.OM-1n vs. OM-2n

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 vs.OM-1n vs. OM-2n
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 21:09:21 -0700
Frank writes:

<< I'm a professional artist/craftman and am lately determined to do my
own product photography. My camera "guru" says an OM-1n is the only
camera for me. >>

I do product photography nearly day in and day out. We are probably hold
outs in not doing it digitally!

The OM-2S is my camera of choice, with manual exposures using the spot
meter. It was an OM-2000 (again using the spot meter), but I can't
recommend it because it can't seem to take the rigors of frequent use.

I wouldn't recommend an OM-1 or 1n because you will be doing tripod work
and there is a often discussed vibration issue, even with mirror
lock-up. Use of the self-timer in the OM-2000, OM-2S, OM-4, OM-4T and
OM-4Ti will greatly reduce vibration and result in better lens
performance, due to what we have called here "mirror and diaphragm
prefire."

The OM-2n is a well regarded camera.  If you can't figure out the logic
to your repairman's opinion, then perhaps there is no logic to begin
with.  Wise of you to question his conclusion, since I won't be the only
response saying: "What????."  But, alas, there is no mirror and
diaphragm prefire to the OM-2(n).

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV