RE: [OM] OM-1 vs.OM-1n vs. OM-2n

Subject: RE: [OM] OM-1 vs.OM-1n vs. OM-2n
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 13:34:18 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 6 Aug 2000 17:07, "Harridge, Wayne" <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>F wrote:
>> me. He says that the OM-1's often have advance/re-winder problems and
>> dislikes the OM-2n for no logical reason that I can figure out.

>I have never heard of any particular problems of the 1 over the 1n, the 1n
>is a newer body, but not much.  AFAIK the only things the 1n has over the 1
>are:
>1. Slightly re-styled advance lever plastics section.
>2. Takes Shoe 4, rather than Shoe 1, which leads to:
>3. Has LED charge indicator in the viewfinder for the T series flash units,
>but doesn't give TTL flash.
>4. Has contact on back of body for the recordata back (rather than using
>sync cord).

You forgot one of the most important differences between the 1 and 1n
(at least for me, who is quite clumsy in my old age):

5. The X/FP switch does not affect the hot shoe on the 1n.  The hot shoe
   is always "X" regardless of the switch setting (which only affects the
   PC terminal).

>I can't see any LOGICAL reason for disliking the OM-2n.

Two possible explanations:

A) The 2(n) has auto exposure and therefore is not a good tool to learn
   basic photography.  Or,

B) The 2(n) needs batteries and therefore is not as usable in all
   sutiations like the all mechanical OM-1(n).
        -Dan