Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)

Subject: Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 10:49:00 GMT
Irrelevant, Tom. But I think you knew that. I appreciate your enthusiasm for a good debate, tho'.

Lex
===

From: "Tom Trottier" <TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 03:31:05 -0400

At 2000 August 4 - Friday 2:57, Lex Jenkins <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
spoke about *Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)...* saying

> Shouldn't be any difference in light transmission regardless of how a
> polarizer is rotated.  What can vary is the light meter reading when a
> linear polarizer is used on a camera that requires a circular polarizer
> (like the Can-not-an-OM-on FTbn).

Of course it should vary! Eliminating the sun reflection off a
windshield could mean a couple of stops variation between one
rotation position and 90 degrees away. The 1.3 stop suggestion is
just an average for handheld, non-polarised lite meters.

Theoretically, it should be 1 stop since you've eliminated 1/2 the
energy by choosing the light waves energy component in just one
direction. The other .3 is wastage in the filter.

Think of it. If *all* the light were polarised in one direction,
You'd get full transmission (less the wastage) at one rotational
point and zero transmission 90 degrees away.

Tom