Re: [OM] THE GRAIL! (Wuz "Vivitar 285 flash for Oly 75-150mm lens...)

Subject: Re: [OM] THE GRAIL! (Wuz "Vivitar 285 flash for Oly 75-150mm lens...)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 00:24:54 +0000
At 02:35 7/31/00 , Paul Schings wrote:
>In a message dated 07/30/2000 1:38:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
>> Among the zooms, I know the following were either MC at the outset or
>>  became MC at some point:
>>    35-70 f/3.6
>>    35-105 f/3.5~4.5
>>    85-250 f/5
>>
>>  I believe, but am not certain, the 65-200 also was or went MC.  Of course,
>>  the 35-80 f/2.8 has always been MC.  I would be greatly surprised to see an
>>  MC example of the 75-150/4.  It and the 28/3.5 were heavily targeted in
>>  Oly's marketing for the OM-10 (and its successor) buyer/user.
>
>I'm fairly certain that the 75-150 was the only Oly zoom that ever was SC.
>All other zooms were always MC. My 1984 edition of The OM System Lens
>Handbook clearly says that the 75-150/4 was multicoated (quote: "Optical
>construction: 15 elements in 11 groups, multi-coated" end quote). I believe
>that the last of the 75-150's were multi-coated, but they seem to be fairly
>rare.
>
>Hope this clears things up a bit (yes, I'm being sarcastic),
>
>Paul Schings

A visit to Lee Hawkins' MC cross-reference agrees with your comments about
all but the 75-150 being MC from the outset:
  http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/multicoat.txt

In the notes there about the 75-150/4 it shows the lens was introduced
circa 1974 and, was first found as MC in the documentation circa late 1985,
and then disappeared altogether circa 1986.  Assuming this accurately dates
its progression from introduction, to SC->MC, to its discontinuation, then
there would be darned few of the MC versions around.  More elusive than an
8mm fisheye?

-- John