Re: [OM] OM:"slick" ebay dealer

Subject: Re: [OM] OM:"slick" ebay dealer
From: "Gregg" <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:45:03 -0400
IMO, eBay is somewhat like going to a used car salesman only worse/better.
When you buy the car it is there for you to inspect so you can discover for
yourself all that could possibly be wrong with it other than mechanical
problems.

On eBay, your only clue as to the condition of the merchandise is the
a)creatively written description, b)photos and c)reputation of the seller.
It seems that what is *not* said in the description is as important as what
*is* said.

It would never be considered kosher to sell a car without any of the
following items:  tires, steering wheel, seats, or engine, even though they
won't be specifically mentioned.  Yet on eBay that is a common practice
among some.

The camera shop mentioned is notorious for numerous shady practices, each
creatively designed to trick the unsuspecting.

Gregg

From: Dirk Wright