Re: [OM] OT ebay auction ethics

Subject: Re: [OM] OT ebay auction ethics
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:41:34 -0700
Simon writes:

<< 2.   make him an offer privately.

I don't know if this second approach is unethical, but I would prefer
it,
under the circumstances. What if there had been no bids? Would this
method
still be unfair? >>

It is totally ethical and done more often than most eBay newbies know.
Anytime you see an auction close early you can assume this was one
possibility on why.  One former list subscriber got his 35-80mm f/2.8
Zuiko that way.

Tips: Assuming a reserve price auction - Try and be the top bidder when
the auction closes. That keeps the other bidders potential grumblings to
a minimum.  Explore with the seller a way to have him/her close the
auction immediately after you place a bid that tops reserve.  That way
the transaction is official in the eyes of eBay and you get the benefits
associated with an official transaction.  It also greatly increases for
the seller the chances the sale will be consumated.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV