Re: [OM] OT:aussie v greenland: island continent

Subject: Re: [OM] OT:aussie v greenland: island continent
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:00:43 PDT
Hey, Rob, didn't you know the names were deliberate choices? The residents of "Iceland" originally named their homeland Bjorkhutinhollarljaend (Land of Sirens With Strange Hair and Quavering Vocal Cords Calling Sailors to Their Tragic Deaths Upon the Rocks). Fearing this name would not only fail to repel the Vikings, but might actually attract them knowing the Norse penchant for offbeat music, they decided to rename the island something rather unattractive. And, as an inside joke, they also renamed the neighboring clot of ice, known as Fruzengladjuvchessploeyers, something more appealing as a distraction. Hence Greenland.

Alas, due to an oversight in committee, they failed to mount an effective marketing campaign overseas and to change the names on the buoys. So the Norsemen sailed straight for "Iceland", stuck a flag in the first Bjorkhutinhollarljaender to greet them, quaffed many ales, did some pillaging and promptly had all their gods and goddesses adopted by the Greeks and moved to Mount Olympus. (Obligatory OM content requirement met.)

Lex "Fables To Go" Jenkins

From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx

I flew over parts of both Iceland and Greenland roundtrip from Ukraine (with a stop in Amsterdam) to the US a few years ago. I was struck by the fact that Iceland had so much land showing..some of it green, most of it brown...while
the parts of Greenland we saw were entirely ice-covered. Names and sights
seemed quite incongrous.

Robert