Re: Sv: [OM] Color films in general? New Kodak color-film????

Subject: Re: Sv: [OM] Color films in general? New Kodak color-film????
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:57:44 +0000
At 19:31 7/11/00 , Lars wrote:
>I just got the July issue of the German Fotomagazin, which has a test of 67
>color films, including the new "Farbwelt" (Color World) Kodak films. The
>all get a "super" label and seem to be a bit better than the older Kodak
>films, including the "Royal" series, and Fuji's films, with extremely good
>enlargement capabilities, grain and resolution.
>
>I don't think they are on the market here yet.
>
>Lars
>
>----------

My ability to read technical German is fading over time.  I was able to
dredge out the Kodak Gold and Max data from an "English" site.  It looks as
if the Farbwelt 100 and 200 are the *same* as Gold 100 and 200.  The
Farbwelt 400 looks similar, but not significantly different, to Max 400.
The divergence is with Farbwelt 800 which has a tighter grain index than
Max 800, so this is probably new emulsion.  The significant differences
between Gold, Farbwelt and Royal Gold are with the granularity with very
slight differences in spectral sensitivities.  Here are how the "print
grain indices" compare (lower numbers are better):

  ISO   *Farbwelt    Gold/Max    Royal Gold
  100      45           45           28
  200      47           47           41
  400      49           49           39
  800      48           57           N/A
 1000      N/A          N/A          57

*It appears there are errors in the section titles for which film is which
in the German data sheet.  I had to go by the product numbers, not the
headings, to pull out the correct "print grain index" numbers.  Up through
at least ISO 400 it appears that Royal Gold still has clearly tighter
grain.  I would be interested in knowing what Kodak did to get its Farbwelt
800 grain index smaller than its Farbwelt 400, or if their numbers for the
ISO 800 were in error!

Here are the URL's if you want to compare data sheets for information
beyond just the granularity:

Farbwelt data (requires Adobe Acrobat):
http://www.kodak.de/DE/pdf/de/consumer/produkte/filmwelt/produktlinien/farbw
elt/datenblatt_Farbwelt.pdf

Kodak Gold and Gold Max (U.S.):
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/e15/#12043

Kodak Royal Gold (U.S.; scroll down to individual data sheets):
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/35mm/films/royalGoldFilms.shtml

-- John