Re: [OM] Color films in general? New Kodak color-film????

Subject: Re: [OM] Color films in general? New Kodak color-film????
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:48:03 +0000
At 07:47 7/11/00 , Thomas Clausen wrote:
>Hiya,
>
>Just saw on the german Kodak-site that a new film was announced: "Kodak
>Farbwelt". That is: I _think_ it is new (not consuming that much color
>films). The film was announced from 100-800 ISO. The address is this:
>
>http://www.kodak.de/DE/de/consumer/produkte/filmwelt/produktlinien/farbwelt/
>index.shtml
>
>I've been unable to find the film (under the same name, at least) on the
>.com-site or other (english-spoken) sites.
>
>Do anyone know this film? What's good/bad about it?
>
>I am a b/w-guy mainly, shooting just an occational color-film (but,
>as mentioned elsewhere, about to take up slides in the near future). Thus
>far I have been using my OM1n and OM2n (mandatory om-content...) with
>Kodak Royal-films. I've never been thinking much about this choise, which
>I guess is based on "Kodak brand-recognition" combined with thinking
>"Royal - it must be better". However, I know that many of you are
>experienced with quite a lot of color-films, so any comments or
>reccomendations would be appreciated ;)
>
>--thomas

Having browsed the U.S. Kodak site, my SWAG is Kodak GMBH has pulled Gold
100, Gold 200, Max 400, and Zoom Max 800 under a single name for the German
market.  Their color coding of the film speeds seems to match that used for
these U.S. films.

The other "consumer" color negative is "Royal Gold," which is carried on
the same German site under a separate heading.  Royal Gold has a tighter
grain structure than the same speed in Gold or Max.  It shows in high
quality well-done glossy prints, even at 4x6 and 5x7 size, that I've had
done from Gold and Royal Gold.  I had to dig around the 'net a while back
to find data sheets on Kodak's Gold and Max films that showed image
structure so I could compare their Gold, Max, Royal Gold and Portra
(professional) films.  The Gold and Max data sheets are not on the U.S.
site.  I believe I finally found them on the U.K. site.  Consequently, what
little color negative I use is Royal Gold or Portra.  I've abandoned Gold
100 and 200 entirely, and never bothered with Max 400 or 800.

-- John