Re: [OM] Olympus Ace E Rangefinder

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Ace E Rangefinder
From: Canon50E@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 01:45:43 EDT
Hilary.Stone@xxxxxxxxx writes:

>     Back to the Ace. I think I know why the Ace was in production for a very
>  short time only ­ the bayonet lens mount is undersized and rather fragile.
>  bought a 80mm f5.6 with the Ace but two out of the three flanges pieces
were
>  broken off. And the standard lens was a very floppy fit in the camera. The
>  flange sections had stretched upwards ­ a juidicious touch with a small
>  hammer straightened them out and now the lens is a reasonably tight fit on
>  the camera. The suppliers are supposed to be sending me a replacement 80mm
>  which has all the bayonet intact. However the finder is really good as is
>  the rangefinder so it's a real pity that Olympus did not get the bayonet
>  right.

That's very interesting.  I have the Tower 19 (Ace E) and the 4,5 f/2.8 lens
seems to be quite fit (not very tightly, but not sloppy either).  The flanges
are also in perfect condition.  Maybe the previous owner(s) of this camera
didn't know the lens could be removed since not much information could be
found.  And maybe the fact that the Ace E had corrected that problem.

But I'd like to get a hold of some more of these lenses, does your supplier,
by any chance, still have any extra lenses for the Ace besides for the
standard 45mm lens?

Sincerely yours,
Kar Yan Mak
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics