[OM] Re: Other interests (Way OT but what the hey...)

Subject: [OM] Re: Other interests (Way OT but what the hey...)
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:07:01 -0700
Interesting thread...hopefully not too OT as to raise hackles the way
SUVs, politics, etc. would. I'll try to be brief...

Cycling, yeah...I done some of that. As a teen ager I raced road and
track and with the help of my cousin built my own criterium frame. I
rode the Davis Double Century (200 miles/24 hour time limit) at 14 years
old. I quit riding for the first time when I was around 18 or
so...scared off the streets by cars. I resumed riding a few years ago
and bicycle commuted for a couple years. This time it was a combination
of car fears and my lower back acting up despite a professional bike
fitting by an Olympic Cycling Center trained PT. Now I have this
assortment of bikes gathering dust that are worth roughly what some
dream lenses I would really like to have would cost. I have ballooned
over 60 pounds since I was last riding...walking just doesn't cut it.
The sad part is that I do love to ride...but between fear of cars and
dislike of (bad) low back pain...I guess I may really be done this time.

Cars, well...I guess that passion is kinda obvious. I don't collect any
these days since I have a family to support and we only have a two-car
carport for storage. If I could I would. I have had a car fetish for
many years and have owned a few nice ones...but none that dreams are
made of (for me anyway).

Sailing, this is an activity that has been a very important part of my
life for many years. I am not really into racing (at least not on my own
boat) but follow sailboat racing some. I try to get out at least once a
week and find it to be a very soothing, fun, and at times exhilerating
way to spend some time.

I am also an electronic technician (not really into radios though) and
have some degree of computer savy (I guess...) Not really into guns but
I do like to fish. I learned to fly fish (thanks granpa) at an early
age.

Oh yeah...and there is photography. I started taking pictures at around
10 years old when I was given an Argus C3. I was self-taught for the
most part (read a lot of books as a kid) but my first "job" was at
around 12 years old working for a place called Darkroom Lab and Camera
in Monterey (CA). They were a combination camera store and rental lab. I
was the kid who liked to hang around so they put me to work. At first
spackling nail holes while the place was being built. Later on I cleaned
up and mixed chemicals. I worked in exchange for free lab time, film,
and paper. Through this job I met many local photographers who were
always friendly and full of advice. My first photographic interests were
nature work (I love Point Lobos) and candids of people...but that
changed over the years to motorsports which (aside from family
snapshots) is all I really do now.

I would be remiss if I did not also mention that I love spending time
with my wife and children as much as possible as well (though she sure
would have told you different last Sunday at the race track...it is
soooo hard to be two places at once).

Hope this was not so OT as to upset anyone...hopefully you know how to
use a "delete" key istead of getting your hackles raised (donning nomex
anyway just in case ;-)...)

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com