[OM] Olympus Photo gallery submission

Subject: [OM] Olympus Photo gallery submission
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 05:15:46 PDT
Hi Lex,

Olaf, I wouldn't read too much into the iris-shaped highlights in the
spiderweb photo, particularly the white highlights. Very few lenses can do better when shooting into leaves against a bright sky. It also depends on aperture and distance between the subject in focus and the out-of-focus background.

Before you joined the list we already pretty much exhausted the bokeh topic, we then came to the conclusion that this particular situation is indeed about as difficult as it gets. This is why I call it the "bokeh-killer" test... Nonetheless, with this test one _does_ see a lot of differences between the bokeh of the various lenses. The 100/2 does a pretty good job at it, but I've seen some terrible results from the 28/3.5, 50/1.8, 50/3.5 and the 65-200/4 lenses. Certainly there must be more lenses that do a relatively good job at it, whereas there will also be some more that do a relatively poor job at it. Yet, the bad bokeh as shown in Ranjal's picture is very extreme: I had not yet seen any picture (apart from some taken with the 50/3.5) that showed the aperture's shape this heavily...

I'd bet if we experimented with all of our lenses shooting into a leafy tree or similar background (deliberately left out of focus) using various apertures, we'd find that each lens produced this iris-
shaped highlight at some point.

Especially when shot wide open, with a distance of some 10 metres between the in focus foreground, and the out of focus leafy background.

Even my Lentar 135mm f/3.5 preset with its nearly circular aperture will produce circular-shaped highlights in this shooting situation.

There's more factors than the amount of diaphragm blades and the shape of the aperture alone. There's a document on my site that explains some of these factors, it makes for an interesting reading, so if you have some time for it, it's located here:
http://www.millennics.com/olympus/techdocs/bokeh.pdf

http://www.photoscene.com/lexjenkins/emulaf2.jpg

Funny picture :)
It looks like the emu (SP?) is drunk :)))

This was the best of the lot, with the least distracting bokeh. But white and green aperture-flare highlights are visible throughout from the bright sky and reflections off the leaves.- ---

Yes, a typical effect indeed. Still some lenses do this more heavily than others... This Saturday I can finally pick up what will probably soon be my favourite lens (guess which one :))) ), and I will perform the bokeh-killer test on it... Perhaps it will give us some new insights? I'll keep you guys posted...

Cheers!
Olafo