Re: [OM] Olympus Photo gallery submission

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Photo gallery submission
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 21:36:06 PDT
Olaf, I wouldn't read too much into the iris-shaped highlights in the spiderweb photo, particularly the white highlights. Very few lenses can do better when shooting into leaves against a bright sky. It also depends on aperture and distance between the subject in focus and the out-of-focus background.

I'd bet if we experimented with all of our lenses shooting into a leafy tree or similar background (deliberately left out of focus) using various apertures, we'd find that each lens produced this iris-shaped highlight at some point. Even my Lentar 135mm f/3.5 preset with its nearly circular aperture will produce circular-shaped highlights in this shooting situation.

Leafy backgrounds may be among the trickiest in all of color photography. Take a look at this image, taken against a similar background using a Tamron zoom at the 200mm setting.

http://www.photoscene.com/lexjenkins/emulaf2.jpg

This was the best of the lot, with the least distracting bokeh. But white and green aperture-flare highlights are visible throughout from the bright sky and reflections off the leaves.
---
Lex
Visit "Vistas Tejas" at http://www.photoscene.com

From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>

That picture shows a fine demonstration of terrible bokeh; a pity, as it
draws a lot of attention away from the actual subject. I didn't realise the
50/1.8 performed so poorly at what I call "the bokeh-killer test".