Re: [OM] Re:minimum carry kits

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:minimum carry kits
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 23:21:47 -0400 (EDT)

   I read Simon's "Top Eight" list re: the 50mm with interest. A few
comments:
          I agree that in most people's hands lenses wider than
35mm usually signify huge, vacant foregrounds and sloppy compositions.
However, an adept can easily overcome those problems and utilize
W.A.s to great advantage.
   The 50mm focal length's strongest advantage, in my humble opinion,
is that it "looks normal", therefore very 'believable' in the sense
that Walker Evans meant by his use of the word 'documentary'. This
is a tremendous advantage, as was pointed out to me long ago by a
 former LIFE staffer, who said to me that he used the 50 whenever possible
because " it is the most deceptive lens of all ".

                                         *= Doris Fang =*