Re: [OM] Greetings!

Subject: Re: [OM] Greetings!
From: "Joan C. Barnett" <Joan.Barnett@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 14:32:18 -0700
Dear Garry, Acer, Craig, Garth, Scott, Charles, Robert, and all,

Thank you for the greetings, and also for the help in finding where to send
my OM-1 and -2N for repairs.  It'll be great to have them both up and
working well again.  I'll need them ready before, say, mid-October or so, so
I can go shoot out in Death Valley again.  I've been asked to do a slide
show presentation locally, on Death Valley, and "need" to go shoot some more
slides (that is, I need an excuse to go out there again).

I've shot various types of color slide film, but is there a B&W slide film
that you recommend?

As for details,  I use my OM-1 and -2N, and the lenses I use are the 28 and
50mm, my Sigma 70 -210, and for the macro work, a Vivitar 2X macro lens.
I've used various films, Kodak and Fuji (used the Agfa film once, but didn't
care for it -- film is a matter of personal taste, I suppose) and Velvia.
Only filter I use is a polarized filter, nothing fancy.

Garry, thanks for the praise for my 15-yr-old daughter's work too -- I am so
proud of her!

Acer and Garth, thanks for directing me to the Olympus web gallery!  I never
even knew that existed and have had a good time browsing through those
photos.

Scott, thanks for liking the marbled godwits photo -- I loved that shot, but
it seems like few others have liked it as much as I did.  Thought it was
maybe because I just like birds a whole lot, and you had to be a bird-lover!
I love the colors and textures of those godwits.  But what in heck is
"TOPE1"?  You wrote: <Also I detect a TOPE1 pic in "Panamint Joni." >  Huh?
(Ok, the rest of you, no laughing!)  And Webshots if really fun -- and a
great place to store lots of photos if you have many megs of photos to share
with others!  There is a LOT of junk on the site too though...

Charles, loved your story about the OMs and the Nikon 6006 -- don't you just
love manual cameras?  Talk about creativity right at your fingertips.  My
daughter loves the digital -- instant gratification -- and I have to admit,
it's fun.  But for me, there's nothing like spending 20 minutes just looking
at a scene or a flower or interplay of light and shadow, and really SEEING
before you actually take a picture (or how many times have you looked at a
scene, enjoyed every minute of it, and walked away not even taking a
picture?).

Enjoy your summer!  Anyone traveling to special places just for photography
this summer?

Joan Barnett
Goleta, CA
(near Santa Barbara)