RE: [OM] Vacation / bare bones rigs

Subject: RE: [OM] Vacation / bare bones rigs
From: Ross Waite <rmwaite@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 10:19:55 +1000
G'day all

I've just resubscribed after returning from my 8 week trip to UK & Europe
(France, Switzerland, Austria & Bavaria).  Some list members may recall
giving me the benefit of their wisdom & experience back in July last year
when I started planning & was trying to decide on a lens kit.

I ended up taking the 21/3.5, 28/2, 40/2, 85/2 & 200/5 (very close to
Barry's kit described below) as my main kit, and added the 35 shift after
Olaf convinced me I would be sorry if I didn't take it.

The majority of shots were taken on the 85 & 40.  The 28 & 200 were also
very useful but I didn't use them as much as the 85/40.  I surprised myself
by not using the 21 all that often, as it is a favourite at home.  If there
is a next time, I would be tempted to leave it at home to cut down on
weight.  The 35 shift was great for Church interiors, but not really wide
enough for exterior shots.  I not sure that I'd take it again,  also simply
to reduce the weight.

It seems that my shooting style at home favouring the 28 & 21, was reversed
on the trip where I found the 85 just right for so many shots including
street scenes, landscapes, architectural details,  and close ups with the
Nikon 4T close up lens added. The 200/5 certainly suffers from it's lack of
speed, but more than makes up for it in the compactness & weight area.  A
180/2.8 would have been nice, but I'm not sure that I would have wanted to
lug it around, especially considering I would then have needed a more
substantial tripod & head which would have compounded the weight problem.
 The 40 fitted perfectly between the 28 & 85, and rarely did I wish for a
zoom.  To sum up, the 28/40/85 combination probably accounted for around
800f my shots, and with all 3 offering an f2 max. aperture, makes for a
very versatile kit.  These 3 plus the 200/5 will probably be my kit of
choice for any future overseas trips.

I used Fuji Provia 100F and was extremely pleased with the results.  I
pushed one roll (mainly for interiors at the Louvre), by 1 stop to 200 ISO
with no noticeable drop in quality.

Cheers
Ross Waite

PS: Keith Berry, - you were right about Exmoor, very nice.  (Devon &
Cornwall, especially Dartmoor & Exmoor & the small fishing villages like
Polpero blew us away.)