RE: [OM] Vacation / bare bones rigs

Subject: RE: [OM] Vacation / bare bones rigs
From: "Windrim, Brian" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:59:32 +0100
Barry B. Bean wrote:

[SNIP]
>> The first day I clipped my 4t to the vest, stuck
>> the 21 on my 4t, 50 and 100 in the pockets, and left.

>> The 21/50/100 combination proved to be such a winner
>> that I never touched the 200 or 28. 15 rolls of film
>> later, I did reach for the fisheye adaptor when I had
>> an afternoon to spend on the Philadelphia Exchange
>> building (near our hotel), and I used the monopod for
>> some night shots, but these only came out for planned
>> and scouted shots.
[SNIP]

I'll second this approach. I've probably droned on about
this before on the list but last year in Venice I took only
my OM4, 24/2.8, 50/1.8 and 85/2, with a smallish tripod
in the luggage. I mostly wandered about with the OM4 on
my shoulder under my jacket and the two unused lenses
stashed in jacket pockets.

The arrangement was very discrete (I must have been the only
person in Venice who didn't look local but didn't appear to
be carrying a camera) and worked well. Lens swaps were quick
and painless. The tripod only came out for evening and night
shots.

My only problem was that the 24mm wasn't wide enough in
many situations, so I've replaced/augmented it with a 21/3.5.

As someone else pointed out on the list recently, lugging
a big camera bag partially defeats one of the major benefits
of the OM system, the wonderful compactness of the bodies
and lenses.

-Brian