Re: [OM] Re: Strappage

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Strappage
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 12:41:44 PDT
I tend to agree with you, Jan. Most of my cameras use short loops of nylon paracord through the lugs and I use 'em pretty much as you do - to hook a finger or two through for a bit of security. Altho' I do use neckstraps when I don't want to carry a gadget bag, most of the time I either leave 'em off or want to be able to get 'em off quickly in case I use a tripod. I hate having a strap in my way on a tripod-mounted camera.

What I really like is the iS-series grip strap. Trying to figure out how to homebrew one for my SLRs.

Lex

----Original Message Follows----
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I don't like straps.

You and me both, Joel! I've seen more cameras damaged via straps than
via lack of them!

My dad dropped his 600DL on concrete, bending the front enough so it
wouldn't focus. ~$250 repair. He thought the strap was through his
arm, but it was just around his arm. His IS-3 had the back damaged
similarly.

My friend dropped her OM-4 on a sharp object on the floor, breaking
out the viewfinder. The camera was on a desk with the strap hanging
over the edge, which got caught on her as she walked by.

I put loops of nylon boot-lace through the eyes. I snug them up so I
can just get two fingers through. The camera becomes an extension of
my hand. I attach a very short 3/4" web with a male buckle fastener,
and can then clip the camera to my vest, or (heaven forbid) even a
strap.

When I don't want the camera attached to my hand, I take it off and
put it in a safe place. I use this boating, rock-climbing, in
aircraft, etc. and have never dropped a camera.