Re: [OM] 1 touch vs. 2 touch? Long answer

Subject: Re: [OM] 1 touch vs. 2 touch? Long answer
From: "Gregg" <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 20:33:02 -0400
WJDuprey asked:

> N.P.Q. (new photographer question) here...

Welcome to the fold!

> what is 1 touch vs. 2 touch? It's when you really like what you touched
the first time so go back for more.  :-0  Actually, it refers to how a zoom
lens adjusts focus and zoom.  If it is done by a single section on the lens
(both rotation for focus and in/out for zoom) then it is one touch.  If
there are separate rings that rotate to control zoom and focus then it is a
two touch.

The one touch is thought to be faster/easier for sports and action shots but
may change focus slightly when zooming if you aren't dextrous.  The two
touch may be subject to going out of focus when the zoom is changed on some
designs only but is not subject to lens creep where the zoom changes if the
lens is pointed significantly other than horizontal.  A one touch may creep
if it is out of adjustment.  Both are useful and preference is up to you.
Put one on your camera body and try for yourself.

> When looking at used lenses in my local camera store (Huron Camera in
Dexter,
> MI) what should I be looking for/avoid if considering used lenses? are
most
> shops consignment?

I don't remember that many consignment shops when I lived in Michigan (sw
side) 14 years ago.  It is more likely that you will find equipment in pawn
shops, where the owner has given a low enough price to the one who needed
cash that (s)he can make a hefty profit after holding the part until you
come in.  fairly priced? Prices may vary and depend on the quality of the
lens and how much you want it.  I think it also depends on how aware they
are of current market value for OM.  You can be aware by searching here:
http://www.skipwilliams.com/olympus/zuiko_ebay_history.htm for statistics on
sales at eBay.com.

any tips or tricks to getting  better  pricing? any verbiage to avoid using?
When you see the very lens you have been searching for keep the drool in
your mouth and don't sweat or shake as you ask to see it.  Actually, I do
better by regularly visiting a shop and establishing a relationship with the
owner if possible.  If I have bought other items from the shop then I feel I
can haggle over the price of an item I have seen sitting there for some
time.  I believe a business needs to make a profit, and I would like a low
price.  Somewhere in between can usually be found a price that makes
everyone happy.

I have also gotten a great price on a 24mm/2.8 lens ($usd 100) by being
friendly and helpful to the sales people behind the counter.  By
occasionally stopping by and looking over their used stock and explaining
the difference between g.zuiko, MC and made in Japan 50mm lenses.  I have
even been known to convince a customer to buy a camera when they weren't
sure of what they wanted.  I try to treat the store the way I want to be
treated.  Just my opinion.

 never bought used before and what my  ducks in a row. oh one more
thing...any things dealers try and pawn off on  unsuspecting consumer?

Sure, there are dealers like that.  go to:
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/buying-used-om.faq.html and
learn what to look for in a camera or lens.  If you are looking for
non-Zuiko lenses, it is probably worth the wait to get Zuiko, but if you
can't, try this for info on good brands to look at:
http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/third/reviews.html .  Lastly, there are more
knowledgable people on this list than me; Gary Reese is the lens test expert
(http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm ), John Hermanson
knows the insides of our beloved OMs (send your equipment to him at Camtech,
http://www.zuiko.com/ ), and *whatever* Tom Scales says about buying, *write
it down* ( http://www.zuikoholic.com/images/bcase/all-final.jpg ).

Gregg