Re: [OM] 1 touch vs. 2 touch?

Subject: Re: [OM] 1 touch vs. 2 touch?
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 19:35:23 -0500
Cc: <WJDuprey@xxxxxx>
William,

Certainly a fair question and we all should probably be more clear.

A one-touch zoom uses the same controls to focus and to zoom. To focus, you
'twist' and to zoom you 'push-pull'.  A two-touch zoom uses separate
'rings', one for zoom and one for focus.  Wildly varying opinions on which
is better. Personally, I like both, as they're just different.

As for purchasing used equipment, you'll soon discover from the list that I
occasionally purchase equipment (my name will come up often, usually in a
deragatory reference <grin>).  Personally, I find most camera stores at the
high-end of the price range.  On the plus side, they also offer warranties
(sometimes, you have to ask).  They also offer many used items on
consignment, so they are just the middleman.  What I've found is that there
is still an opportunity to haggle on the price.  If it's on consignment,
they'll call the seller and call you back.  My approach is to figure out
exactly how much I'm willing to pay, and never budge. I use this for stores,
ebay, personal purchases, everything.  I've only 'overpaid' once that I sort
of regret (my 50-250), although I admit I love the lens.  I recently
purchased a Zuiko 300/4.5 and a Zuiko 500/8 mirror at my local precision
camera and am quite pleased with the purchases.

As for tips and tricks, I think you just need to feel comfortable with the
seller. That's the most important thing.

Don't know that I helped.

Tom

> N.P.Q. (new photographer question) here...
>
> what is 1 touch vs. 2 touch?
>
> When looking at used lenses in my local camera store (Huron Camera in
Dexter,