Re: [OM] camera windowpod/support

Subject: Re: [OM] camera windowpod/support
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:09:17 PDT
This reminds me of an occasion in 1980 or '81 when I was photographing some street scenes around San Diego while riding around with a friend. He parked the van to run inside a convenience store for a minute. I saw a photogenic newsstand in front of an abandoned barbershop, which happened to be located next to the convenience store.

A few days later my friend said the convenience store owner was very angry that I'd been "spying" on him and demanded the film. He was an immigrant from a country that gave him cause to be paranoid. I showed the negatives and prints to my friend to assure him that none of the photos included the convenience store itself and offered to let him take the prints, but not the negatives, to the store owner as proof. He did so and the owner was satisfied.

Even in the U.S. we must remember that some folks have fled to our country to escape persecution in their own, but still fear reprisals.

Lex

----Original Message Follows----
From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx

The cautions you are hearing from fellow photogs aren't to be lightly
dismissed. In many of those countries there is tremendous suspicion
concerning foreigners and their attempts to take surreptious photographs -- of any kind. Such people are frequently considered spies...

Robert