Re: [OM] Will Oly's new optical image stabilisation system in C-2100UZ b

Subject: Re: [OM] Will Oly's new optical image stabilisation system in C-2100UZ be utilized in other cameras?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 15:28:53 PDT
Per, I've followed some of this on CompuServe where there are active Canon and Nikon followings. Nikon has entered a licensing agreement with Canon to utilize some aspect of Canon's IS technology. However, I've heard nothing yet of any similar arrangement involving Canon and Olympus.

If one has been reached it may be with limited distribution rights. For example, Olympus may sell its IS equipped digital cameras outside of North America only. Does this ring a bell? It should, because we in North America can't directly purchase the iS-3000 with its superior flash system, supposedly because it might compete with the OM-4Ti.

I suspect the problem is one that I call the "flat-forehead syndrome". That describes my reaction when I see how someone else has developed an elegantly simple solution to a problem I'd been unable to solve.

Canon's IS technology is so elegantly simple it's virtually impossible to duplicate it without infringing on its patent. And any other IS technology appears to be ridiculously complex or simply inferior.

Perhaps Olympus will be able to arrange a licensing agreement with Canon for U.S. distribution. Or, perhaps, Canon intends to keep the technology for its own line of digital cameras in hopes of capturing market share lost to Olympus, Nikon, et al.

Lex

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>

... it is said that C-2100UZ is based on the C-2020Z. They also say that to reduce camera shake the 10x zoom lens is assisted by an optical image stabilisation unit. The next sentence is somewhat unclear to me:

--
"We already reported about such a development from Canon (see report of 25th May 2000); one may suspect Olympus from using this product in its new camera."
--

What do they mean? Is Oly's new IS system borrowed from Canon? I know that Canon use this in some of their lenses, but do they have a patent license on this system as well? And above all, will this be utilized to improve other Oly cameras, and if so which?? Myself I'm thinking of an iS-4000 with image stabilisation... mmm...

Per Nordenberg