Re: [OM] Lens Quality: Stylus 3.5 VS Stylus Epic 2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Quality: Stylus 3.5 VS Stylus Epic 2.8
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:51:29 PDT
Thomas Clausen wondereth:
...I have never tried any IS-camera, I cannot understand how anything can be better than an OM2SP - they even (IMHO) beat the OM4's.....<

It's a kinda Apples/PCs sorta thing.  I like both computers.

While I'd seriously and ponderously considered switching to Canon EOS gear a few years ago I stuck with my manual focus stuff. While I appreciate autoexposure for some situations, I just didn't feel enough benefit from AF to incur the expense.

But when I swapped a Minolta manual focus outfit for an iS-2 for my mom, who's too nearsighted to use manual focus, it changed my mind. The iS-series offers exactly what I like in AF and no more. I don't need ultra wide or tele 'cause I've got that covered by manual focus gear. The fast-moving action I'd like AF for falls within the focal lengths of the iS-10/20/30 and iS-1/2/3 lines.

Best of all, the iS stuff suits me ergonomically far better than any Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Pentax or other AF SLR I've hefted.

I don't think of the iS as a substitute for my Canons or OM-1, tho' mom does. For me it'd be a perfect complement to them. It's also the perfect P&S for photographers who don't really want to admit they'd like to have a P&S. ;)

Try to get your paws on one. I'll bet you'll find it's a different experience from any other MF or AF SLR.

Lex