[OM] SETI searchers sought

Subject: [OM] SETI searchers sought
From: "Tom Trottier" <TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 18:41:09 -0400
I hope this isn't an abuse of the list, but I'd like to solicit some
CPU cycles for a good cause. I just started Searching for Extra-
Terrestrial Intelligence (I've given up on earth...) and have
processed 5 datasets so far for the SETI project in the background.

And it's easy. SETI@HOME just sits in the background, running
priority "Idle",  absorbing CPU cycles. It slows response very
slightly - it feels like I'm running W98 instead of W2K. It also uses
the internet to retrieve data & sends results every day or ten,
depending on the speed of your machine.

TaskInfo (  http://www.iarsn.com ) shows it to have about a 14 MB
working set (ie RAM usage). If it slows performance too much (e.g if
you have < 64 MB), you can set it to function purely as a screensaver
and work only when you're not using your computer.

SETI have 2,000,000 or so volunteer machines running, the largest
amount of  computing power working on a single project outside of the
US' National Security Agency and its eavesdropping.

I'd like to suggest that you sign up & help too. It's lonely just
being here on Earth, waiting for that asteroid with our
name on it. We need some pen pals.

The SETI site is http://setiathome.berkeley.edu

Tom Trottier