Re: [OM] SETI searchers sought

Subject: Re: [OM] SETI searchers sought
From: Charles Packard <packardc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 11:42:17 -0500
You are missing the point, SETI isn't about who can process the most data sets.
Its about who processes the data set containing the extra-terrestrial signal.
That's the real prize!
So, don't be disappointed, the project is going to take some time. The universe
is a REAL BIG place. The SETI@home program also demonstrates the absolute power
of distributed processing using the internet. Imagine 2,000,000 plus machines
of varying OS's, hardware platforms, crunching numbers towards a common goal.
Who needs super-computers?
OM Content => What if all the OM users of the world pointed their cameras, all
properly loaded with film of course, at the sky and took a photograph at the
same moment? What a mosaic that would make! <g>
Imagine everyone else in the world stopping, listening, wondering what made
that beautiful sound. The sound of millions of OM shutters firing in unison.

Charles "Needing to get out of the house" Packard
Birmingham, Alabama, USA