Re: [OM] Lightining

Subject: Re: [OM] Lightining
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 23:57:09 -0500
>It seems to me that this approach would be much too slow to be of any
>use, unless there are multiple strikes. I don't have the numbers
>handy, but I seem to recall lightning is a millisecond phenomena,
>whereas it will take a horizontal cloth shutter 18 mS just to open.
>Or do I remember wrong?

The vast majority of lightning (see I can spell it correctly) strikes are
of the multiple stroke variety.  The longest one I've ever seen ran about
two seconds.  It isn't difficult for a fast triggering system to work in
capturing the remaining strokes. Obviously a slow Canon A2 or any other
wonderbrick with lots of processing overhead will not be a good choice
without turning features off (autofocus).  The "spark" itself, which is
essentially an electrical short travels from cloud to cloud or cloud to
ground or ground to cloud makes the entire connection in about a
millisecond, but it essentially burns the atmosphere that it is travelling
through.  This burning causes in incandescent glow which actually makes the
spark more visible and longer lasting.

Now, what other myths can I skewer?

Ken (city slicker Iowa boy) Norton