Re: [OM] M-System lenses...

Subject: Re: [OM] M-System lenses...
From: Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 20:06:02 +0900 (JST)
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how rare the original M-System lenses are?
> I was in Vancouver, BC last week, and while poking around,
> I saw an M-System 100/2.8.  I managed to resist buying it,
> as it wasn't in the greatest shape, but was curious as to
> how "collectible" they are.  It was, if I remember rightly,
> serial number 102xxx, which implies that they made a couple
> thousand of these anyway.  I did fail miserably to resist
> getting a 55/1.2 today in Seattle on the way home though :)
> At least it was that one, and not the 300/4.5 that they had
> or the 180/2.8 that I didn't even want to pick up...
> Anyway, if anyone's in the Vancouver area and wants to go
> look at it, email me and I'll give you more info.
>
> Mark Marr-Lyon.

Hmmm...I thought the only "M" was the Zuiko 50mm F1.8...but I'd expect
it to be quite rare. 20 odd months ago, I had the opportunity to buy the
M-1 at a camera swap meet. The seller was an antique dealer so he knew the
value of it and offered it to me for AUD$1100 (US$600 thereabouts). I
didn't go for it as the viewfinder/focusing screen/mirror was dirty and I
wasn't sure if it could be cleaned. There was also a tiny sharp dent at
the base of it.

Anyway he told me that he was going to put it up to eBay and to my
surprise he really did. In the end, he sold it for US$900+!! I really
kicked myself there.

Sean
--
Sean Chan         Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx       http://www.msdw.co.jp
EI/UNIX IT Dept.  +81 3 5424-4318 (W)        +81 3 5424-4399 (F)