Re: [OM] M-System lenses...

Subject: Re: [OM] M-System lenses...
From: Dylan <dsut4392@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 23:57:11 +1000
Sean Chan wrote:
> Hmmm...I thought the only "M" was the Zuiko 50mm F1.8...but I'd expect
> it to be quite rare. 20 odd months ago, I had the opportunity to buy the
> M-1 at a camera swap meet. The seller was an antique dealer so he knew the
> value of it and offered it to me for AUD$1100 (US$600 thereabouts). I
> didn't go for it as the viewfinder/focusing screen/mirror was dirty and I
> wasn't sure if it could be cleaned. There was also a tiny sharp dent at
> the base of it.
>
> Anyway he told me that he was going to put it up to eBay and to my
> surprise he really did. In the end, he sold it for US$900+!! I really
> kicked myself there.

You think that's bad?
I saw an M1 in the local camera shop about 12 months ago when I was
looking for an OM1 for my partner. It was in pretty nice nick (ie
cosmetically mint, mechanically mint as far as I could tell without
running a film through it!), and at A$250 was $30 more than a slightly
dented OM1 MD beside it on the shelf. Had a silver nose 50 1.8 on
it IIRC. I opted to save the $30 and get the more scratched up camera,
thinking she might one day want to attach a winder.
A few months later I joined this list, and realised my little booboo...I
was more than a little sorry to find I could have resold the M1 and
bought a secondhand 4Ti and OM1 for the proceeds...
Dylan