[OM] 2-13 screen in an OM-2

Subject: [OM] 2-13 screen in an OM-2
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:26:18 -0500
The shimmer of a 2-13 or 2-4 screen is because the ENTIRE screen is a fine
microprism surface.  This is why the bokeh is completely different than a
ground glass screen.  The shimmer happens even with a tripod, but
definitely is an indication that what you are looking at is in focus.  This
shimmer doesn't seem to always happen with every lens, though.

Is the 2-x series screen better than a 1-x series screen?  Depends.  I find
that for macro work the 2-4 screen is way easier to focus on, but the 1-4
screen is far better for composing.  The 2-x screens are much easier to
focus telephotos with, but wide angles seem to choke for me.  When shooting
the 24/2.8 or the 35-70/2.8 zoom I actually prefer the 1-4 screen in
dim/interior lighting.

I've got a 2-4 screen in my OM-2S and a 1-4 screen in my OM-1.  One odd
piece of information:  I've got corrective eyepieces in my cameras
(actually, just the OM-2S at the moment thanks to an encounter with my
jacket zipper) and without the corrective eyepiece I cannot focus the 2-4
screen at all wheras I can with the 1-4 screen.

As always, YMMV.

Ken Norton