Re: [OM] 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 22:59:07 -0500
At 07:23 PM 5/10/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>I am considering purchasing a Zuiko 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 zoom lens.  It is
>marked "S ZUIKO."  It was my understanding that when a letter preceded the
>word Zuiko, it meant the lens was single coated.  However, when I checked on
>the two multicoating reference pages
>(http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/mc-sc.survey and
>http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/multicoat.txt), this
>marking for this lens is identified as MC.  According to these pages, all of
>these lenses were MC.  So, I have two questions.
>
>1) How can I tell if it is MC?

It is MC.  Trust me.  If not, look through the lens under a strong light
and look for green or aqua reflections.

>2)  Does it matter?

Yes, it matters because differences matter.  But the SC lenses (the
75-150/4 is probably the only zoom that is SC) are good too, and
occasionally better over a range of stops than the MC counterpart.
Devilish, ain't it?  MC lenses are by definition newer.  Lots of times that
is certainly better.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA