Re: Cleaning an OM-1 Chrome was:[OM] Oil Changing

Subject: Re: Cleaning an OM-1 Chrome was:[OM] Oil Changing
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 18:55:58 +0100
Gregg Iverson wrote:

>How does one go about cleaning the outside accumulation of 23 years of use?
>Actually, it looks a little like a type of film or oxidation on the chrome
>that I would like to remove.

When I was in a photographic shop in the '60s we had a new Canonflex RM, the
chrome of which looked really grubby. We kept reducing the price to get rid
of it but to no avail. One day the manager took off the top and bottom
plates and scrubbed them in the sink with washing up liquid. After drying
and refitting it sold in two days - back at its full price. It had a much
rougher finish than OMs though, which seem to clean up with just a damp
cloth.

Regards,
Keith Berry
(Birmingham, England)