Re: [OM] Bounce Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Bounce Flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 08:17:21 -0400
Hi Evan,
My suggestion is take whatever advice the list gives you and then
supplement that with some research on ebay.  If you're looking for
third-party Olympus TTL capable flashes then you probably need to buy
something used.  I would do separate searches for "Vivitar flash" and
"Sunpak flash".  This will give you lots of hits, many of them with
pictures.  Use the pictures and descriptions to decide which models
interest you... ignoring, for a moment, that whatever you find on ebay
today might have a Nikon or Canon dedicated module attached.

Then, once you got some model numbers in hand, do a more explicit search
on completed sales using the specific model to get an idea of the price
range.  You're probably looking at spending somewhere between $40 and
$80.

I did this same sort of thing recently and came up with:

Vivitar 3500, 3700, 3900, 4600 all using the "DM/O" dedicated module and
"DSC-1" off-camera extension cord for Oly TTL.

Vivitar 5200, 5600 which uses the "PM/O" dedicated module and "DSC-3"
off camera extension

Sunpak 333D, 422D, 444D, and D8, D12 (ring flashes) using the "OT-1D"
dedicated module and "EXT-10" off camera extension.

There are more to be sure plus other brands such as Metz.  I don't
recall all the features of all these model numbers.  I think most of
them tilt but not so many of them also swivel.  Those that do tend to be
fairly large since you'll need to throw a lot of light both tilting and
swiveling.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA