Re: [OM] Black & White films

Subject: Re: [OM] Black & White films
From: "Glen Lowry" <lowry@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 20:06:41 -0700
And I concur with Simon.  After bouncing around, trying all sorts of
different B&W films, I've settled on Delta 100 and Tri-X.  I didn't have
much luck with Tmax films, XP2, or any of the Agfas (except I do like APX
25).  In consistent light, I find that the tonality and resolution of Delta
100 is outstanding--in 120 format, I recently switched from FP4+, which is a
super film as well, and the results are outstanding.  For more marginal
light or in more varied (often indoor) situation, the latitude of Tri-X is
hard to beat.

The thing that I found makes a big difference is the developer.  About 6
months ago, I standardised on Xtol 1:1 and have been happy ever since.
While it took me a while to figure out how to use Xtol--use plenty of stock
and dilute with distilled water, I think it was worth the struggle.

As a side note: I've also begun to look for different things in a B&W film.
It used to be that I was worried about grain and would shoot Pan F or APX25
to get me ultrafine grain.  But I've now decided that my biggest concern is
with tonality, accutance (meaning I want some grain), and what I've heard
referred to as micro-contrast or micro-detail (for which Tri-x is known).
Consequently, I'm printing smaller images. I used to feel that prized
negative demand big prints.  Having been to a few recent exhibitions (one by
Lee Miller in particular), I've started to rethink magnification.  For 35mm
I seldom go larger than 6x9 or 8x12.  For 21/4 sq, I like to print at 7 or
10 inches.  I just did a whole series of tiny 31/2x31/2 or 31/2x4 inch
images for my sisters wedding that are really pleasing (if I do say so
myself).   My point is that often the standard demands that people talk
about in choosing and evaluating a film are not always relevant to our
individual needs.  More and more I'm using Tri-x to ensure that I've get
sufficient shadow detail and that I've using my prized lenses at the
sharpest apertures (5.6-11).

Glen