[OM] Black & White films

Subject: [OM] Black & White films
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 16:29:17 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to everyone who contributed to the "Colour Films" thread.  Very
informative.  How about a similar thread on black and white films?

I *love* good B&W pictures, having grown up on books about the golden age
of photojournalism.  I used to do all my own darkroom work, but gave it up
in the 80's for lack of time.  Since then it's been mostly Kodachrome 64.
Or lately, (shudder) color print film to please my wife, who doesn't like
having to wait for a slide show to see all the pictures.

Lately I've been toying with the idea of shooting B&W again, especially
after seeing some of the beautiful B&W shots by list members.  I've
noticed that B&W pictures often look better on a computer screen than
color pictures (perhaps because the bandwidth used by color information
can be used for better resolution and brightness gradation?).

Anyway, my feel for B&W film is based on using 1970s Tri-X and Plus-X, and
occasionaly Panatomic-X.  What are the current films like in comparison?
How do the current true B&W films compare to color-chemistry based film?

What's a good film for long tonal range, luminosity, texture and that "I
can't believe you didn't shoot that with a larger format" feeling?  And
what's good for the existing-light slice-of-life pictures?

Opinions wanted.

--Peter