RE: [OM] Black & White films

Subject: RE: [OM] Black & White films
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 11:35:30 +0100
I will concur with most of Brian's post of this subject. I tried Tmax films
and didn't feel comfortable, and reverted to Ilford's traditional emulsions.
I think the Delta films are more like their older siblings than Tmax films
are in relation to Tri-X and Plus-X. I am trying out different developers,
but haven't used Xtol yet. I like ID-11 very much, but mixing up the powders
is a chore. DD-X works well with Delta3200 and is Ilford's recommended
allround liquid developer, but it is quite expensive.

I've used Ilford XP2, and find the dye films to have less prominent
sharpness, but the dye structure means they show much finer grain than most
400asa films. Great for portraits and general shooting. I don't know if they
would scan any better than the traditional type.

As for Tech Pan, it's a high contrast film, which requires effort to get the
best from it. My chosen alternative is Agfa APX25 - almost as good, and
rumoured to be marginally finer than Pan F.

As in colour, there is no substitute for trying things out yourself.

Simon E.