Re: [OM] on ebay -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] on ebay -Reply
From: Scott Nelson <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 12:20:05 -0400
My latest buying transactions have been, if not disastrous, at least very scary.
All the seller's contact info turned out to be false. Eventually, through
pressure from myself, eBay, and law enforcement in the seller's jurisdiction, he
did deliver the goods. But, he was suspended from eBay for the false contact
info, and I count myself very fortunate. I've learned to be very careful with
examining feedback rating and strongly suggest checking the seller's contact
info as well. You can use various E-mail directories to see if the street
address matches the seller's name and E-mail address. His didn't. Although it
came out all right in the end, I lost a lot of sleep over this and am I'm very
gun-shy about eBay right now.

>>> Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 04/28/00 07:52pm >>>
>My last two transactions were disasterous...
>...another guy wants to refund my money for the
>broken lens he send only if I pay for the shipping($13 both
>ways).

First, did you check feedback on the guy first?

Second, assuming he was lily-clean, did you threaten to tarnish his reputation?

In my experience, feedback is a powerful tool with sellers that have
more than a few points. I generally won't bid on things offered by
those with suspicious feedback. It is possible to get bad feedback
without deserving it, but if there is several, and they all sound
reasonable, and the rebuttal (if any) is not, I steer clear.

(Unfortunately, those who get bad feedback often start over with a new name.)

I bought a lens described as "perfect glass," and discovered it was
thoroughly fungused -- I politely, but firmly, told the seller I
expected him to pay round-trip shipping, since the item was not as
described. He agreed, and did. I then left positive, but not
laudatory, feedback.

>I need to complain a little more. I have been on the list for
>about a month. Ever since I subscribed started to get this
>junk mail from some @compuserve.com.

Welcome to the Internet. It may just be co-incidence. I get tens of
these a week -- sometime tens in a day!

>Has anyone succeeded
>removing itself from their list?

The consensus on spammers is: DO NOT reply, asking to be received.
This serves as confirmation that yours is a working address, and
you'll be spammed all the more afterward.

If you have time to kill, turn on the "all headers" option, and
report the spam to each domain in the header to abuse@ and
postmaster@, EXCEPT for the final one in the From: or Reply-To:
fields, for reasons above.

I take the time to complain to those coming from popular free-email
sites, like hotmail or excite, or well-known services, like msn.com
or yahoo.com. They take action and boot the suckers. I also take time
to complain if the spam is particularly offensive to me, such as
porn, get-rich-quick schemes, or sellers of email lists.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>