Re: [OM] Winder 2 on tripod & drive questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Winder 2 on tripod & drive questions
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 18:03:25 -0500
At 08:03 AM 4/28/2000 +1000, you wrote:
>I've run into a couple of problems with the Winder 2 on a
>Manfrotto tripod, using the small (non-hex) quick release
>plates.
>
>First, neither of my two plates will screw right home
>any more. I imagine the cork shims have been compressed,
>but not by much to look at them, and the plates work on
>all of my bodies and lenses. The question is: is the
>hole in the winder too shallow, or the screw on the
>plates too long? For the moment, I've put a paper shim
>between the winder and the plate.

IMO the winder hole is too shallow.  I resolved it by grinding down the
screw about 1 mm. You could put a thin layer of cork on the bottom of the
winder too.  I've seen that done.

>Second, the connection between the winder and any
>of several bodies isn't as rigid as I'd like. (A strong
>argument for integral motor drive, IMO.)

No question.  It's a floppy connection.  I don't use winders on tripods
anymore as a result.  Seems to defeat the purpose of the tripod.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA