Re: [OM] Winder 2 on tripod & drive questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Winder 2 on tripod & drive questions
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:17:25 -0500 (CDT)
On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:03:54 +1000, Frank Ernens wrote:

>I've run into a couple of problems with the Winder 2 on a
>Manfrotto tripod, using the small (non-hex) quick release
>plates.
>
>First, neither of my two plates will screw right home
>any more. I imagine the cork shims have been compressed,
>but not by much to look at them, and the plates work on
>all of my bodies and lenses. The question is: is the
>hole in the winder too shallow, or the screw on the
>plates too long?

The hole is too shallow. I've had 3 winder IIs that all had the same
problem, and when I posted about it last year I got a dozen e-mails
from other winder II / Bogen users. I ended up keeping a couple of
large washers in my bag that I use whenever I need to mount my winder
on a tripod/monopod.

>Finally, would a Motor Drive 2 mount more rigidly
>and be better quality? Counting against it is that it
>can't take AA's. The Control Grip is unsuitable
>for use with a beanbag. How many rolls will the flat
>Nicad pack take, including power rewind? I may not have
>mains readily available or want to carry the charger.

I have both - It's hard to beat the MD2 for speed and feel, but it is
heavier, bulkier, and much more expensive than the winder, not to
mention the convenience of the winder accepting AAs. If MD control
packs could be had for $20 or 30, I'd just keep an extra one in my
bag.

That said, a fully charged control pack will get me through at least
5 to 10 rolls of film. I've never let it run all the way down, so
maybe it'd go much further than that, but I never wanted to have it
run down mid-game.

BB

-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel