Eyes-sharp, nose-soft (was Re: [OM] Zuiko 85 f2 vs. 100 f2)

Subject: Eyes-sharp, nose-soft (was Re: [OM] Zuiko 85 f2 vs. 100 f2)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 09:59:00 -0700
How about using the Zuiko 135/4.5 macro on a bellows with rear tilt?

You'll need two tripods, and a lot of care to keep from damaging the bellows.

1) Mount the camera on one tripod, and tip it down about 15 degrees.

2) Attach the bellows to the other tripod. Point it at the subject. Put the tripods VERY close together.

3) Slide the rear standard off the bellows rail and attach it to the camera body.

4) Juggle everything around until you have the eyes sharp.

The focal plane should now tilt 15 degrees away from vertical, back into the subject (if I remember my Scheimpflug theory correctly), which should make it easy to make the eyes sharp and nose soft.

The 135/4.5 can do this because it can focus to infinity on the bellows. The 80/4 macro may also be able to do this, but I don't think any other Zuikos will.

Caveat: I've done this, but only with still-life. You'll need a very patient model. :-)

Method #2:

Or just spend $1500 on a Zoerk outfit, which uses a nifty ball-and-socket arrangement to achieve rear tilt. Available through Ken Hansen of NYC.

Method #3:

Scan the sucker. Load it into Photoshop. Copy the background into a new layer. Give that layer a strong Gaussian blur of about twice as much as you would want. Add a layer mask. Use the gradient tool on the mask so that the eyes come from the sharp layer and the edge of the frame comes from the blurred layer, and stuff in-between comes from each, proportionate to the gray level in the mask. You can even change the shape of the gradient curve for a more intense or more subtle effect, which you can't do with a lens!

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>