Re: [OM] advice: print or slide, ultimately to go on PhotoCD

Subject: Re: [OM] advice: print or slide, ultimately to go on PhotoCD
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 11:05:04 -0500
At 08:34 PM 4/17/2000 -0700, Acer wrote:
>Hi. I'm about to quit getting prints and scanning those on a flatbed. From
>now on, PhotoCD (anyone know of older versions of PhotoShop available
>used?). So, given that ultimately the images are going to to onto a
>PhotoCD, then web display, is there a reason to shoots slides or
>prints? Slide means less latitude.

Acer,

You might check eB*y for older versions of PS.  You can then buy the
upgrade to go to version 5.5.  On the other hand, unless you're going to go
into color management in a big way, version 4.0 is about all you need anyway.

Leaving aside latitude, etc., the biggest advantage of slide over print is
that you know what the exposure really looks like.  Negs are easier to
scan, but you're going to let Kodak do that for you, right?  I'd say
concentrate on using the finest-grained, widest-latitude slide films and
nailing your exposures.  Really work at exposure and bracket at least
modestly.  Start experimenting with fill flash if you need to fill the
shadows a little.  This advice is coming off my recent trip where I shot
both Provia F and Konica Impresa 50.  The Konica is a beautiful film, but
there were very few situations where I preferred it to Provia, which is
simply a great, very accurate film. Unlike almost every other negative film
I've used, Konica's grain in blue skies almost matches a slide film.  But
"almost" is only good enough with horseshoes and hand grenades.  Plus it's
a stop slower to get that kind of quality.

For the purposes you describe, Kodak does a great job scanning slides to
PhotoCD.  The versatility of slides I think greatly out weighs most other
considerations.  I say this as one of the newly-converted, since I've
always doubled important shots on print film wherever feasible.  I'm still
going to do that somewhat, but I think I'll try to concentrate on slides
first and foremost.  Print film has a way of encroaching because it is
easier to get useable results quickly.  But it is ultimately more expensive
and not the finest quality, not to mention the variability of the labs and
what they can do to your negatives if they are the least bit careless.

My $.02.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA