[OM] Lenses have been sold + needed advice on a cheap damaged 28/2

Subject: [OM] Lenses have been sold + needed advice on a cheap damaged 28/2
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 07:54:04 PDT
Hi guys,

Well, as there were no takers for the two lenses offered last week, I ended up selling them last Saturday at a local 2nd handed gear dealer for somewhat less than what I asked for on the list (because of the inevitable lower dealer-turn-in-prices, and because of the blemishes on the rear element of the 50/3.5). At the end of the day, this was about as good a deal as it would get, I guess, and it saves me from having to live of bread and water only for yet another week ;)

Either way: while I was in the store, I noticed a used 28/2 (yes, a Zuiko), and as the seller and I were having some post-sale small talk, I jestingly asked about the price. He said he didn't know what to do with the thing yet, as the coating on the front was heavily damaged (he showed it to me, and the coating damage really _IS_ terrible), but strangely enough, when holding it against the light (looking through the back of the lens) it all looks very clean, so I guess it really is _only_ the coating which is damaged. He said he obtained the lens for Hfl 50,- (USD $22 !) in a package deal. At first I wasn't so interested, because of lack of funds and because of the severe coating damage. But then lateron I started thinking that if I can maybe get this lens for some Hfl 100,- (i.e. some USD $45), I might just be able to get the front element replaced (if necessary) or somehow fix up the coating (or get it fixed up).

Now the questions:
-Would you guys buy this lens if only the coating on the front element is this damaged, and there are no further scratches (which I'm not certain about, but which I'd check before buying the lens)? -Does anyone know (John Hermanson in particular!) if this front element is still available, and how much replacing it would cost? -Is there anyone that happens to have a damaged (e.g. Beyond Economic Repair) 28/2 of which the front element is still intact? Or does someone else has access to a new or 2nd handed front element for this lens? -Suppose I'd leave the lens in an as-is state, what do you guys think will be the visible effect on the pictures? Should I only expect (heavy) flaring in counterlight situations, or is it likely that the effect is worse?

Thanks in advance, and tomorrow I will inquire about the going price of the lens... If the going price will be dirt cheap, I might just pick it up...

Cheers!
Olafo