Re: [OM] Lenses have been sold + needed advice on a cheap damaged 28/2

Subject: Re: [OM] Lenses have been sold + needed advice on a cheap damaged 28/2
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:49:46 -0400
Hi fellas,

I realize this may not apply to Olaf's "cheap, damaged" lens, but I thought
it might be of interest anyway.  Here's a terrific resource for those
wishing to have a lens recoated:

Focal Point Inc.
John Van Stelten
1017 South Boulder Road
Suite E-2
Louisville, Co. 80027
Phone  303-665-6640
Fax    303-665-3803
Email  john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.focalpointlens.com

John is well known among medium and large format photographers for his
superb work in reclaiming damaged lenses.  His service is labor-intensive
and...therefore...time-consuming and expensive (recoating a 50mm Zeiss
Distagon for my Rollei SL66 took a month and $175, for instance).  But, in
the case of a multi-thousand dollar piece of glass, like the Zeiss, it's
worth it.  In this case, for instance, it was actually a bargain.  The
previous owner of the lens had stored it without a front cap in a
foam-padded Halliburton case.  The foam reacted with the lens coating and
ate right through it (just like our friend John Hermanson says rotting OM
foam does to prism silver).  After this, the owner considered the lens more
or less "junk" and sold it to me for a couple of hundred dollars in a
package deal.  For an investment of another $175 + shipping, I got a superb
and normally unaffordable wide-angle lens that's in "new" condition.

While recoating may be not feasible economically for a run-of-the-mill, easy
to replace lens like a Zuiko 50mm f1.8, it may make sense when considering a
more rare and precious piece of glass.

Thought you might like to know about John.

Craig Roberts
Boston