[OM] RE: 135/2.8 AND Agfa CT-18

Subject: [OM] RE: 135/2.8 AND Agfa CT-18
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 01:05:21 -0700 (PDT)
Donald wrote:
I still didn't find those old Agfa slides; but I do remember those
plastic
mounts, in contrast to the cardboard Kodak ones. I changed over because
of
something I read, I think. IIRC it was the grain, there was a
comparison in
a mag or a book, and being a librarian I'm heavily influenced by
books...
I haven't used Agfa slide film since the early 1980s because I found it
grainy beyond belief.  Man, was it graaaaiiinnnyyy!! With so much
grain, I could've taken up chicken farming already! <G>

Just for fun, I once tried blowing up 35mm slides by huge factors of
magnification, by re-photographing them using a slide projector and an
OM-10 with no lens, mounted on a tripod  I projected the original
slide's image directly into the mirror box of the OM-10, so the
projected image could be focused onto the mirror/screen (and
subsequently, when I pressed the shutter release, the film itself). Of
course, the projector bulb temperature was rather low, so I got
yellowish pictures. By choosing the subject accordingly, e.g. a lion at
the zoo, the problem of colour shift could be minimised. Also, the
projector's lens was not quite in the same league as a Zuiko prime. The
results were apalling, but amusing.

But the really striking thing was the *grain* when the original was an
Agfa slide. That, coupled with the colour shift and the lens's poor
definition, made a head-and-shoulders portrait of my daughter look like
a bowl of cornflakes! I don't know whether Agfa's slide film has
improved in the last fifteen years or not. With plenty of Kodak and
Fuji available, I don't really plan to find out for myself.

=====
Ray