Re: [OM] Great E-site's on Maitani

Subject: Re: [OM] Great E-site's on Maitani
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 14:04:31 -0400 (EDT)

   Here's a little excerpt(s) from a lecture Ansel Adams gave
 at George Eastman House, NY, in 1958. I think it is germane
 to this thread...
  [It was a great talk, and these out of context excerpts do not
   do it justice. The full text appeared in _The Camera Viewed_,
1959, edited by Peninah Petruck --- a great book, btw.]

   " Professional --- one who lives by his work. Amateur --- one who
loves his work but does not necessarily live by it (some of our
 greatest artists have been amateurs). Hobbyist --- a do it yourself
man, who has fun. Nothing serious intended. The dealers have fun, too."

  He goes on and on with the definitions of PJ, Illustrator,
documentarian, and then he spends some time working up a new
definition which he called "Photopoet", in which he placed
the living photographer he revered the most: Edward Weston.

                                     *= Doris Fang =*