Re: [OM] photo cd / slide scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] photo cd / slide scanning
From: "gary edwards" <maitani@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 10:34:01 PDT
From: Joey Richards <bigjoe@xxxxxxx>
Advanced Digital Imaging, who will do up to 100 scans
for $2/slide plus $10 for media -- since I would guess I'll
want on the order of 30 slides scanned (plus or minus a few,
depends on how things go on a light table), so that puts me
at around $70-$100 for the scanning.  Does that seem like a
reasonable expenditure?  Does anyone know of a cheaper
alternative?

Joey, that PhotoCD pricing is a little on the high side. ColorPlace (Dallas) gets $1.80/slide or negative in quantities of 20 or more, no charge for media.

Also, as pointed out by someone else, scanning at the time of processing can be very reasonable. My friend YK Bao's one hour lab charges $12.95 per roll for scanning at the time of processing - he has a machine that automatically scans full, uncut rolls at my choice of three resolutions and doesn't charge for CD media. His price for cut slides or negatives is $5.00 each, though. Sorry, that doesn't help you this time.

Gary Edwards