RE: [OM] photo cd / slide scanning

Subject: RE: [OM] photo cd / slide scanning
From: "Dave Bulger" <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 21:32:55 -0500
Joey,

> If I'm going to go to this trouble, I would like to get reasonably
> high resolution scans done -- the master photo CD 2k by 3k res
> seems like it ought to be fine for my purposes.
>
> What I'm concerned about is cost -- the cheapest place I've
> looked at so far (and I haven't looked tremendously hard yet)
> was Advanced Digital Imaging, who will do up to 100 scans
> for $2/slide plus $10 for media -- since I would guess I'll
> want on the order of 30 slides scanned (plus or minus a few,
> depends on how things go on a light table), so that puts me
> at around $70-$100 for the scanning.  Does that seem like a
> reasonable expenditure?  Does anyone know of a cheaper
> alternative?

You probably don't want to hear this, but the cheapest way to get scans done
is at the time of processing.  I'm guessing that the trannies in a single
strip is easier/faster/cheaper to scan than mounted, single ones.

> Also, does anyone have experience getting inexpensive snapshot
> quality prints from slides?  My friends will probably want
> some copies of some of my shots, and I doubt they'll want to
> pay for cibas of them.  :-)  I've heard that Slideprinter
> does decent, inexpensive type R prints -- anyone dealt with
> them?  What qualifies as "inexpensive" in this case?

An option might be to lay out a 12 x 18 inch "form" in Photoshop or some
such and arrange 300dpi scans of your shots on it, trading off size for
quantity.  Send it to the labs that do high, high quality inkjet prints. We
have one here in Austin. I LOVE the results.  I FTP them the file(s) and
they have the prints ready 3-4 hours later.  12 x 18 inch for 30 bucks.
Probably more than a type-r print, but considerably better, IMO.

HTH --

Dave