Re: [OM] In the studio (of sorts) - selective response

Subject: Re: [OM] In the studio (of sorts) - selective response
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 17:25:56 -0700
===== I put a fairly sheer material across the
rectangle, which seemed to work ok.  I found a couple mounting shoes built
onto clamps that attach to the stand.  Works pretty nice.  Both diffusers
have T32 flashes mounted to them, connected to my OM-4T on a tripod between
them (flashes at a 45 degree angle).======

Be aware that white fabric can cause a bluish tint from bluing agents
that are used in the whitening process just like laundry detergent
sometimes has added to it.
Usually you can wash or bleach this out.
How are you controlling lighting ratios?

White walls in a small room will bounce light all over the place and can
result in flat lighting.  Sometimes desirable and sometimes not.
Flat gray is a good choice because it is neutral and reflects less than
white.

======I also built a backdrop holder of sorts also from PVC.  I got some
heavy
material from the fabric store.  I tried a light gray and a medium gray. I
also want to try a beige, but they didn't have anything wide enough.  I need
to come up with a better solution for mounting the fabric so that I can
easily switch between them.  Any suggestions?  I was thinking of mounting
them like shower curtains, but that wouldn't leave a smooth background.  Is
that a problem?=====

You can use alligator clamps on top and on the sides to pull the fabric
tighter.
Grey paper (Savage) is my favorite and you can change the density with a
background light.
It can actually go from black to white.
Gels can create any color you want but be careful the gelled light is not
entering
the subject area or getting into the lens.
I suggest a flash meter.

====I tried three different lenses, the 100/2, 85/2 and the 50/1.2.  The
last
was an experiment.  My 'models' were my two daughters, both 7 (one about to
turn 8, one just turned 7).  The interesting part may be their differences
in coloration.  My oldest is fair skinned and my youngest is a medium
brown====

Lens length is a creative choice.  A flash meter will render proper exposure

for all skin tones and everything else in the frame.

When the kids see the photo's they may just stop thinking it is silly
and be eager to pose.
Have lots of fun as I am sure you are.

Charlie