Re: [OM] In the studio (of sorts) - selective response

Subject: Re: [OM] In the studio (of sorts) - selective response
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 20:56:23 -0500
Charles, thanks for the feedback, as you've answered some of my questions.
The bluish tint may very well be from the material.  Do you suggest a
different material or color (beige?).

The walls are white, and I'm not painting them, so I'll have to live with
it.

I'm confused for the need for a light meter.  I thought the whole point of
the OM system and the TTL flash was the ability for the camera to manage the
flash units?  Does this not really work properly?  Does the fact that there
are multiple flashes cause a problem?

My biggest problem is the overexposure.  I can compensate with the ASA dial
if necessary, since it's pretty consistent, but I shouldn't have to.

Thanks

Tom

> ===== I put a fairly sheer material across the
> rectangle, which seemed to work ok.  I found a couple mounting shoes built
> onto clamps that attach to the stand.  Works pretty nice.  Both diffusers
> have T32 flashes mounted to them, connected to my OM-4T on a tripod
between
> them (flashes at a 45 degree angle).======
>

> Be aware that white fabric can cause a bluish tint from bluing agents
> that are used in the whitening process just like laundry detergent
> sometimes has added to it.
> Usually you can wash or bleach this out.
> How are you controlling lighting ratios?
>
> White walls in a small room will bounce light all over the place and can
> result in flat lighting.  Sometimes desirable and sometimes not.
> Flat gray is a good choice because it is neutral and reflects less than
> white.
>
> ======I also built a backdrop holder of sorts also from PVC.  I got some
> heavy
> material from the fabric store.  I tried a light gray and a medium gray. I
> also want to try a beige, but they didn't have anything wide enough.  I
need
> to come up with a better solution for mounting the fabric so that I can
> easily switch between them.  Any suggestions?  I was thinking of mounting
> them like shower curtains, but that wouldn't leave a smooth background.
Is