RE: [OM] The Death of Film

Subject: RE: [OM] The Death of Film
From: Wayne Shumaker <wayne@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:15:09 -0500
Ah the wisdom of Ken. Yes, and we complain when that OM-4's batteries
only last a month rather than 6 months. Many digital cameras take 1 Amp
of current to run. Also, film can count photons and make tradeoffs
between grain size and number of available photons. So can digital
cameras, but maybe neither can exceed the other. 20 years ago I had the
task of determining the feasibility of an all digital radio. I found
out the same fundamental limits of traditional analog front ends had
the equivalent in the digital realm. At the moment, film lets you make
more tradeoffs when balancing the needs of resolution, speed, and
control. Digital definitely has it's place but film is still evolving
too. It's not standing still. Battery technology maybe more important
to digital photography than pixels.